“We can do no GREAT THINGS, only SMALL THINGS with great love.” Mother Teresa
What if everyone could be a Super Hero with powers to save lives? Today is our time, our opportunity, and our obligation to make the world a better place. Every person can save lives by doing small things with great love – right now.
Unfortunately, we currently have no GREAT THINGS to suddenly stop all emerging pathogens from spreading disease, farmlands from producing dust, miles traffic from choking the air, and sunbathing temperatures during sun-less January days in snow country. Global warming has become a wake up call to reality. And evidence shows climate change is impacting public health. Now.
However, we do have something no past generation ever had. We have TODAY. This is our time, opportunity, and obligation to make the world a better place. Every individual does indeed have an awesome power to save and improve lives by doing SMALL THINGS with great love – today.
Some of those SMALL THINGS include:
Protecting and respecting water.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Take shorter showers. Use the clothes washer only for full loads of laundry.
Did you know that nearly every chemical ends up in the water supply?
- See 9 Cleaners You Can Make Yourself for inexpensive and less toxic cleaning supplies. Use the least amount of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical laden soaps. Find simple ways to make environmentally sensitive shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothpaste, etc. on the Internet.
Burning coal and natural gas to create electricity is a major factor in world air pollution.
- Use solar power for home and water heating.
- Shut off electrical equipment when not in use.
- Do not close vents to unused rooms when using central air conditioning.
- Cook without pre-heating the oven. Skip the pre-wash dishwasher cycle. Clean the lint filter in the dryer after each load. Wash clothes in warm or cold water instead of hot.
Did you know opening the oven door to check on the food reduces oven temperature by 25 to 30° each time?
Drive and fly less often.
- Emissions from cars and planes contribute to air pollution as do the production of roads.
- Use radial tires and keep them inflated properly on your car.
- When shopping for a new car, pay attention not only to fuel mileage numbers, but also the pollutant numbers on the sticker.
- Buy items grown or created locally to reduce travel for you and the items. This is also true when buying items online and in stores.
- Eat less meat. It costs in land, methane gas production, and transport.
Make less trash. About 33% of what we throw away is packaging!
- Buy re-useable products – for example glass containers instead of disposable plastic water bottles.
- Use cloth shopping bags.
- Use reusable food containers instead of aluminum foil and cling wrap.
- Buy rechargeable batteries.
- New is not always better. Recycle. Use recycled paper. Buy used furniture and items.
More good news. These SMALL THINGS can also save money. Each has an immediate positive impact on the world, and together produce GREAT THINGS for years to come for all who call this planet home.
Find out more:
- Fifty Ways to Help Save the Planet
- Help Save the Earth
- 40 Things You Can do to Save the Planet – poster
- Climate and Health – CDC
- Climate and Effects on Health – CDC
- President Obama, others link Climate Change to Public Health
About Us – At HouseSpouseLife.com, we share with those celebrating 50 years and more of remarkably diverse talents, hobbies, history, and abilities – and with those who love them! Here House Spousers find entertaining insights on travel, cooking, healthcare, lifestyle, technology, finance, volunteering, and loving life. The company consists of four experienced professionals with expertise in healthcare, legal, university instruction, pharmacy, cooking, wine, writing, Porsches, knitting, history, photography, travel – and an undying appreciation for the interesting, inspiring, sublime and creative magic in life. Kevin, Christal, Jerry & Barbara