Here at InspiringLifeOver50, we like to go to live shows. Whether its a musical, a play or a concert performance, we get tickets and go, sometimes filling the calendar months in advance. Our musical tastes are pretty widely varied – we are at home with a symphony, a string quartet, or a rock band. With lots of choices, we just get out and do things – you know, “dinner and a show.”
Living in Central Florida, there are a lot of choices available to us. We have the Dr Phillips Center, the Amway Center Arena and the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center in downtown Orlando; we have the Peabody Auditorium and the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach; the Flagler Auditorium in Palm Coast; and the King Center in Melbourne. Our favorite is the Athens Theater in downtown DeLand, our home town. Oh, yea – Disney, too.
Here is a recap of where we have been this winter and where we are going in the near future:
- Eagles Tribute Band, Athens Theater
- Jersey Boys, Dr. Phillips Center
- Johnny Mathis (the real one), Peabody Auditorium
- The Fab Four, Beatles Tribute Band, Flagler Auditorium
- The McCartney Project, Paul McCartney Tribute Band, Athens Theater
- Always, Patsy Cline, Musical, Athens Theater
- The Sound of Music, Peabody Auditorium
- Gilbert Iglesias (Fluffy), comedian at the Peabody Auditorium
- Glenn Miller Orchestra, Ormond Beach Performing Arts Center
- Righteous Brothers, Dr. Phillips Center
- Elton John Tribute, Athens Theater
- Holiday Inn, Musical, Athens Theater
- Manheim Steamroller Christmas, Peabody Auditorium
Also, I have to mention that over a year ago, one of my favorite rockers of all time, Gregg Allman, performed at the Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach, and we were there. It was his last show in Daytona Beach.
- The Music of Cream, Peabody Auditorium (Not a tribute band – sons and nephew of the original band)
- Singing in the Rain, Athens Theater
- Season Tickets to the 2019-20 Athens Theater – to be announced.
So what is the message here? There is more to life than just movies and TV! Sure, the tribute bands are almost never as good as the real thing, and aging rockers are also not as good as they once were – a Beach Boys show at the Hard Rock in Orlando was good, but they are getting a little long in the tooth! The plays and musicals at local theater are good, but it’s not Broadway, and the touring shows are good but sometimes expensive.
The quality of the show – or lower level of quality – isn’t the point. The point is that you take your favorite date, get up, get cleaned up and dressed nicely, and go for dinner and a show. Have a good time, sing along with the band, and experience live entertainment. Even the Shoestring Theater in nearby Lake Helen puts on some great shows with local talent. So…repeat after me…
“C’mon honey – we’re goin’ to the show!”